Most of us spend a fair few hours staring at a computer screen every day. We all know this can play havoc with our eyes. Choosing the right contact lenses will help keep your eyes feeling comfortable when you are using the computer.
Why computer screens are hard on your eyes
Computer screens can affect your eyes in a number of ways, including:
- Reduced blink rate
- Dry, irritated and red eyes
- Eye strain and tired eyes
- Blurred and variable vision
Contact lenses and computer screens
We blink about once every five seconds, which is 11,000 times a day! However, when we’re looking at a computer screen we blink less frequently or not as fully. In fact, studies show that when looking at a computer screen, we blink five times less than we should to keep our eyes moist and healthy.
Blinking is your body’s natural way of replenishing the tear film that keeps your eyes clean and moist. Blinking spreads the tears across your eyes, maintaining moisture and keeping foreign bodies from entering and irritating them.
If you wear contact lenses, you may notice the effects a computer screen has on your eyes even more. These tips will help to keep your eyes comfortable in front of the computer:
Reduce the glare
Avoid facing a window and ensure the room is well lit. The difference in brightness between your screen and the area behind it can cause eye stress and discomfort.
Adjust your seat
You should be looking just over the top of the monitor in your straight-ahead gaze.
Making a conscious effort to blink often and fully will help to keep your contact lenses moist.
Take a break
Take a 20-second break every 20 minutes. Focus your eyes at least six metres from your terminal. Keep your eyes moving while looking at objects at various distances.
Drink lots of water!
Drink lots of water to keep as hydrated as possible.
How to find the best contact lenses for computer work
Changing the types of contact lenses you wear can make your eyes feel more comfortable. For computer work, your eyes would choose ACUVUE OASYS® contact lenses. Their innovative design will keep your eyes feeling fresh and moist. They offer:
- An ultra-smooth, flexible and moist surface, to help reduce that tired eye feeling.
- Silicone hydrogel material that lets in almost 100% of oxygen to your eye.1
- The highest level of UV protection available in a reusable lens.*
*All ACUVUE® Brand Contact Lenses have UV Blocking to help provide protection against transmission of harmful UV radiation to the cornea and into the eye. UV absorbing contact lenses are NOT substitutes for protective UV absorbing eyewear such as UV absorbing goggles or sunglasses because they do not completely cover the eye and surrounding area. You should continue to use UV absorbing eyewear as directed by your Optician.
1. Oxygen to the central cornea during daily wear as opposed to wearing no lens at all.
2. JJVC data on file 2006, phone interview by an independent market research firm, n=255 (subjects), brand- and sponsor masked, monadic (parallel) study. Working on a computer more than 25 hours/week (n=174). Percentage excellent/very good and strongly /somewhat agree.
3. Please note professional eye test and fitting fees may apply. See voucher for full terms and conditions.